Thursday, July 8, 2010

I arrived Tuesday...my bag arrived Thursday...I'm hoping my soul will be here soon!



A week has passed with no sign of my incorporeal self landing upon these shores and those desperately wistful thoughts, scribbled upon my arrival back here in Gibraltar, are still centre stage. Yet, regardless of my lack soul, I'm back at work and harnessed on top of the Cable Car as it crawls slowly up the track rope, fourteen hundred feet towards the top station.


As the ton and half car makes it's way upward I look down and outwards towards the bay. Which is covered in a thick white heat mist which stretches right across the Straits. My mind is as cloudy as the sea and my heart is drenched in sweet melancholy as if I've left a lover on another shore? For it's there faraway in the good old USA that my soul still lingers, taking in one last dance with the smiling lady in the summer dress. Hoping for one last kiss full of romance.


The ground keeps falling below me and the height which once had me clinging like a child. Now, on this foggy day, has me feeling like a sailor perched high on the mast in the crow's nest. Just then a beautiful old world clipper ship comes gently sailing through the thick folds of white laying on the water and heads towards our harbour. Perhaps, that's my soul arriving in that ship? Maybe now, I can finally land.

Time-slip and it's weeks later and the fog has finally lifted. Funny what a little sleep in the right time zone can do for you? My bags full of goodies are stored away and all the upgrades to the ship's systems are up and purring. The bridge has attained critical attraction, it's walls awash with a collection of Art posters which I brought back with me. It was so good to restore my minds eye by dipping it into that palate of the imagination which is the Museum of Modern Art. Wandering through the galleries my eyes feasted on canvas after canvas absorbing and reveling in their moments, stories and jokes. Yes, I'm one of the few people who laughs out loud in an art gallery! It was especially lovely to see some Rothko's before heading over and having truly one of the best times I've had in the theatre.

I went to see 'Red' a play about the man's work I'd just seen and it was that rare theatrical script...great. Written in dialogue which allowed two fabulous actors to create superb performances. Capturing everyone in their dance and dazzling you with their timing. Drawing from an afternoon crowd a pin drop silence and a en-rapt audience. The Set, lighting and music were their equal in art also, making emotional statements and stirring hearts themselves. I felt as I did when 20 and first watching Equus, completely caught up in that very Greek play of ancient gods and horses. This time it was huge Red canvas paintings and the purpose of art. Art for arts sake? Money for God's sake! The old quandary played out with such understanding of the lightning which burns you unless you let it out to play. The gift and curse of art and why we cannot stop creating. After ninety minutes I left the theatre energized, my artistic engines recharged and ready to take me onwards in my journey. “The word is given...Warp speed.”

2 comments:

Beatbeast said...

Andy, it has been too long since you sounded as heartlifted and energised.
Good to hear your joy brother

Anonymous said...

Why don't you write a book? Sue