Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"It's going to be a bumpy night!"

My Dear Friends,

Rejoice, for at last the end is in sight. We have survived the 'Holly Juggernaut' of Xmas and now merely have to cross the drunken meridian of New Year's eve to be through the time barrier to...another unit of measure? As always at these moments the whole of Western Media is in meltdown mode as we leave the 00's and fall into the next. An endless barrage of analysis and remembrance has splashed across our eyes and ears. Gets to where I wonder did I live through the same piece of the time stream as these guys? And don't get me started on the lists of things which have spewed out to account for our first ten steps into the 21st century. Best movies, Best music, Best Person, Best Butt! If only these experts of history could just recall some of it during the rest of the fracking decade. At this juncture, I must reveal my fondness for the 'Best Butt' as it was a cracking bit of reportage, full of insight and great buns.

As for me ? Like Shirley Bassey when you get to my age you don't include decades in your calender. Anyway, here on the bridge of the good ship Cocteau we're ready for the time shift. Many years doing this crossing have trained me to strap down all the important things. So, the booze and Mom are good to go.

As you can tell I've been in quite a good groove the last couple of weeks. We're busy building and painting the set for the panto and as you know the smallest of distractions into the world of make-believe help to keep my soul afloat. Also, my Quentin Crisp project is coming along well. He's turned out to be a truly fascinating person. What I thought would be a simple process of learning his lines has become so much more. Also and best of all! The good old itch to write has returned. Art is in the house! Well kids, the minutes are floating by and soon the 00's will be gone. So, I wish you all the very best for the next measure of units and send my love as always.

I leave with a few words of wisdom... 'Never turn your back on a monkey'.And yes Bill and Chris those are the very same cute guys I work with!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the 'cracking' meant to be a pun in the best butt bit? Very good - even if it was unintended!
looking forward to an evening with Quentin Crisp and I send you and your Mom (might I meet her one day?)my best wishes for 2010. Good luck with the writing!
Margaret xx

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year my dearest as tomorrow night I will be partying (as only I can with 2 kids in tow) in Espana & will have no coverage on my phone. Big kiss to you & your mom, Isa xxx